Remembering Captain Kwame Waikenda

A year ago, April rolled in and you were gone. This is my tribute then and my tribute even now. Hope you have met my Suzs. Miss you.
Kwame burst into my life with a smile and a witty remark that had me smiling and enthralled for life. He wasn't just Aunty Susan's nephew, he became my nephew too and a friend who loved me for me and always treated me with respect even though he would tease me mercilessly at times, he never at any one time showed me anything but utter respect. He made sure to stay in touch even in the days of handwritten letters, he would take time out and send me a letter or two. In the recent past whenever he landed, he would call me up to say 'hello, Mama Kris I am in town, let's meet'. And it would always be a surprise and I would be amazed by his thoughtfulness and consideration that in the few days he had in town, he would make time to see me. He did not only tell me I was a queen, he treated me as one and I felt honoured by his undivided attention, his openness and his trust whenever we got talking. That was Kwame's way of telling you that you were important, that you did matter and that no one should treat you anything but. Whenever we would chat online, he made me laugh, listened to my idiosyncrasies without judgement and when I didn't understand the marine jargon, he would break it down in English and never once would he get tired of making sure I understood; it's still Greek but tempered with Kwams flavor, it's easier on my ears.

I had the privilege to see Kwame at Mum's in 2008 December, he had invited me to have dinner with him and Mum, you know after the 'hello, Mama Kris I am in town'. And it was a beautiful dinner, an evening of great laughter and beautiful family moments that up to now warm my heart. Never in my wildest nightmares did I see him moving on to another facet of life so fast. He had hoped to come over this year and he made me promise that he would get to see Kris, (he jokingly would ask if I was sure I had a son), so that they could hang out and tell him all about his work. It's inconceivable that he is no more. I have cried many tears, tears he would tease me about, possibly tell me that it's okay, that though I wont see him anymore, he is the whisper of memory that will tickle my brain now and then. I will miss his beautiful smile, his wit, the quiet strength, his gentleness, his ability to make me feel like a queen, his passion for his work & his life, his commitment to his family and friends, his sense of purpose for his life and his childhood dreams. Definitely Google Talk will not be the same without him and someday, the tears and the pain will ease and I will remember Kwame with smiles, possibly gales of laughter.

So, till we meet again Kwame, may God hold you in the palm of His right hand, well, at least to ensure you don't get too worn out giving Gabriel & Michael a run for their wings. And I promise to remain ever fabulous and to always remember that a life worth living is one that is lived to the fullest, and gives it’s best to all people. I am grateful for the gift of you, a beautiful soul that I have loved unconditionally.

I love you. Amigos Para Siempre.

Popular posts from this blog

Capt. Kwame K. Waikenda

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle Rules the World by William Ross Wallace (1819-1881)